What is Japan's Problem with PVP

So In my career as a gamer I've played a few MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Play Game) EQ, WOW, ESO, TOR, PSO (1 on the Dreamcast), DCU Online and CoH to name a few. Now another passion of mine is anime and would the two come together you'd think I'd be super excited, however that's not always the case in fact most of the time that's not the case. Now I don't hate These anime in fact I enjoy .hack//SIGN and the 1st arc of Sword Art Online. Now every anime I've seen set in a MMORPG has one trope that they all use and that is PK (Player Killing) or as any normal MMO gamer would call it PVP (Player Vs Player).

Most anime set in MMO use a devise called PK to add to the story set in the world of a Game. In the .hack// it was used as a minor back ground device however both Roots and the G.U. it the focus point. In SAO it more of a well crime given the situation of the 1st story arc.In Log Horzion it is brought up however it not use as a plot point and while I'm excited for Phantasy Star Online 2 the Animation  I've not seen it as of this writing. Now by no means does this take away from the enjoyment of said shows but as I watch I always find myself asking why is this such a big deal.

For those of you who are like me and can't figure this out I'll do my best to explain PKing. PKing is the act of one player killing another in the setting of the video game it's very self explanatory.  Now this doesn't confuses me what confuses me is how this is view any character guilty of PKing is often portray as well a scum bag. They are often deviants and show sociopathic behaviors. That my real problem as I've said before I've played my fair share of MMOs and every now and then I enjoy PVP weather it be battle grounds, arenas, or killing newbies in starting areas (normally when I'm frustrated with the game). Now I don't normal do that but I'm pretty sure I'm not a sociopath at least I hope not. That is my big problem with the Japaneses concept of a MMO  it's mostly PVE with With everyone being flagged for PVP but the act of PVP is taboo. The big this is that these shows make a person who PKs equal to a Murder. Now I understand in SAO it was Murder but in .hack// and Log Horizon not so much. Now in .hack//roots and the G.U. games PK is a major plot point not just a device in fact the main character is is a PKK (Player Killer Killer)... Well I think I've wrote myself into a hole this is my confusion with these types of anime while i love the setting but I hate how different the view is over real MMO and anime counter parts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My top 5 Villians in Power Rangers

What is the Mech Genre?