Thoughts on the Nintendo Wii U



Since it's full debut at E3 2012 Nintendo's new Console the Wii U has had some mixed results. Now sit and I'll tell you why the Nintendo Wii U is going to be a must have for gamers. Now to do this we need to talk about a few things mainly The Games, The Gamepad, and The full HD support. I'm going to start by talking about the HD support.

The HD

The Wii U will support full 1080p HD which was probably the biggest draw back for the Wii. I don't remember how many times I've read in a Wii game review "The graphics are good for a Wii game". I hated that line but you had to do it because while Wii games had the story and the game play to match up with the other consoles the graphics where only just better than the Gamecube. HD was the only logical movie to make with the next console.

The Games

Here is where I may geek out a bit. mostly because of how they are using the the games. To see a list of games that are coming out in or around launch just go here. The big titles in my mind at least are Mass Effect 3 (with the Extended Cut), Darksiders 2, Assassins Creed 3, and Batman Arkham City Armored Edition. the big two I think are Mass Effect 3 and Arkham City. Both games will have all the DLC they have currently plus new stuff for the Wii U. Arkham City with feature a new set of coastumes for Batman and Cat Woman called armors that will add to the game play given the players a powered up mode. Now with Mass Effect 3 I don't know much about the game play changes but knowing Bioware they will take full use of the Gamepad.

The Gamepad

The game pad is one of the most interesting feature about the Wii U. the Nintendo web site list the best way to sum up the controller:

"The Wii U GamePad™ controller removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. It incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 aspect ratio LCD touch screen, as well as traditional button controls and two analog sticks. Inputs include a +Control Pad, L/R sticks, L/R stick buttons, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons, ZL/ZR buttons, Power button, HOME button, -/SELECT button, +/START button, and TV CONTROL button. The GamePad also includes motion control (powered by an accelerometer, gyroscope and geomagnetic sensor), a front-facing camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, rumble features, a sensor bar, an included stylus and support for Near Field Communication (NFC) functionality. It is powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery and weighs approximately 1.1 pounds (500 g)."

the 3 thing that catch me attention are the touch screen, rechargeable battery, and motion control. but before reading any further go to this link and watch the video for Arkham City as it show the full range of the Gamepad. The big feature that sell me on the Gamepad is the screen. I love that as a touch screen I can move most of my in game menus to it and use it instead of pausing my game. the other thing I love is I can move my game from the TV to the Gamepad and watch TV at the same time. Yeah this just seems like a gimmick but I like the idea of it and I only hate gimmicks in figures not my games.

Now for a little bit of pros and cons. I know it's  not like me I just built this up but now I need to talk about why it's good and  bad however these are my selling points but there are more other than this.

Pros

All the things listed above count as a pro but there is one thing that doesn't apply to me mostly because I never owned a Wii. and that is if you own a Wii and have all the extras: the Wii Mote, Nunchuk, Classic Controller, and the Wii Fit Balance Board. they are still usable with the Wii U. The Wii U will also be Backwards compatible with all Wii games.

Cons

Well the major con right now is no one outside of Nintendo how much this system is going cost. speculation is it will be 299. All we have heard from Nintendo is it will be affordable. the Gamepad is another price point I worry about i'm afraid they may 100 plus dollars. The price point is still a major con and when we know nothing about it. I will give my opinion on the price when it is announced.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My top 5 Villians in Power Rangers

What is the Mech Genre?