Review: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron.

Two Years ago I wrote my first review for the blog about Transformers: War for Cybertron (WFC). Well time has passed and the much anticipated squeal Transformers: Fall of Cybertron (FOC)  is out and I am here to share my opinion with you. Another thing being done in this review is that I am dropping my 5 point scale in favor of  a 10 point scale for two reasons. First my blog is also published at Gameinformer.com and they use a 10 point scale I do this to avoid confusion. Second I realized that with a 5 point scale that I would give this Game a 5 out of 5  but in my mind that's a perfect game and while FOC is far from perfect. Now on with my review.

Story

The story this time around is much better it is more of the epic tale we expect with this franchise. In stead of two separate but intertwined stories FOC has one overarching story that is told from different perspectives. I wont go to much details about the plot other than to say it involves the search for energon and escaping Cybertron. The story is told in a more dynamic fashion that really sets the tone for the game and at time show just how big it is. The story is a much improved over WFC  though is feels like it is the  second  part of a trilogy of games.

Game play

Here is another area where FOC out shines WFC again. the game play mechanics are roughly the same as before but with a vast improvement over enemy AI. The best example of this is I was playing as Megatron with an Autobot charging right at me I pick my shot moment right before he reached me and fire.Well he dodged it and I was shocked. The AI was awesome they would flank me when I was back in to a corner, take cover to avoid my fire, and dodge my attacks when they could. Another addition to game play was an upgrade system. This system work by spending energon chip that would drop from enemies after you killed them or found in destructible parts of the level. These chip would let you buy weapons upgrades, new weapons, secondary weapons, and perks that would carry over from character to character. Another improvement made was with Ammo and health. In WFC lack of ammo was a major complaint of the game. in this game ammo is a plenty as is health. The game play is solid and is "just what it should be for a Transformer Game"

Diobots

Ah the Diobots why is it that they get there own section away from game play well that a simple answer they where a selling point for me and the level with Grimlock almost feels like it's own game. The game play for the Grimlock is perfect even the limits to how often to can be come a space T-Rex are fitting. there are references to them from the old show and movie. I am happy with the way they where handled and I would love to see a single player DLC that continued their story but I wont hold my breath.

Graphics

The Graphic are an improvement this time around. Instead of the shiny metal environments from the first game we see a more lack luster Cybertron. The two best examples of this are the rust storm and Shockwave's lab levels. Every this looks just amazing an fits in with the setting and tone of the game.

Multiplayer

This is where FOC falls short in my opinion. While the two mode from the last game return the Escalation and the standard Multiplayer not much has been changed. There was promise of customization and you do get it but you are limited to Scientist, Infiltrator, Destroyer and Titan. I'm not going to lie I may of set my bar a little high with this one. I was hoping for no classes and complete customization. Another complaint I have is the class are limited by the weapons they can use as well. the Multiplayer was a let down but I will still more than likely play hours of it.

Overall

To sum it up the game is awesome and it improves where improvement was needed. While  the multiplayer let me down it is still enjoyable. The final score I give the game is 9 out 10.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My top 5 Villians in Power Rangers

What is the Mech Genre?