Mighty Morphin Expectation

So I've been meaning to make this post for a while since the announcement of the mighty Morphin Power Rangers reboot movie. I kind of have some high expectations for this movie. I don't really want high expectations for this film but being a fan for 21 years kind of put them on a higher pedestal. So I did some soul-searching, and I came up with a list of what I'd like to see the movie do. So I broke it down into three categories of what needs done: characters, story, and Design. 

Characters

Rangers
Okay my opinion hear me upset some fans. I'd honestly for this movie like to see five new characters. I think the movie would be better served with five new characters instead of recasting the original five because their actors iconically those characters.  However this is a great opportunity to maybe play with some of the way you betray an archetype in the movie. 

Villains 
Here's another area where my opinion may not be a popular one. Now here's the one that might take people all I don't think it needs Rita not Zedd as the main villain for this movie. I'll give more of an explanation as to this in the story section. Some of the minor characters need to appear in the movie like Goldar and Finster maybe Squatt and Baboo.  Also maybe an updated look for the putty patrollers. 

Other characters
Here I'm not this year you need a lot of other characters in the movie. Zordon is a given but maybe not Alpha 5.  As for Ernie and other they may show up as background characters but nothing more

Story

Plot
This one's easy it's just your average good versus evil story. The hard part with this is developing all these character. At its heart it needs to be good versus evil while also being an origin story. 

Mech use
Now this is important to me this it's very near and dear to my heart. There are two ways you can go about properly utilizing the mechs. The first is can keep them to the entire third act of the film. This way you can take more time at the end of the movie and show off both individual and the combined modes of these zords. The second way is to split up the above-mentioned uses. Put an individual zord battle somewhere early on either end of first act or middle to end of second act. Then end the third act with a very big very climactic battle with the MegaZord. 

Post credit/Sequel tease
Okay this one might be a little hard to explain. This will also hard to explain my also be very difficult execute. The best bet for a potential sequel tease instead of doing the very popular Marvel post credits maybe they should wait for the DVD and then tease the sequel. As for what the tease should be that's a given.  It needs to be some sort of dramatic reveal of Rita having the Dragon power coin. That being said it really would be best served as a DVD or Blu-ray Easter egg and not at the end of the movie seeing as it's still may flop. 

Design

Suits 
Now we brought this on the podcast and I kind of made my point clear but I'm going to go  into more detail here. Will start with the helmets the simplest thing to do here is to not change but streamline the helmets. As for the suit on a whole keep the diamond motif maybe simplify it like the original movie but keep it. Now referencing the original movie don't make power armor update the suits maybe not spandex but not power armor. If you want of reference piece as to the direction you should go forward with the suits look at the Kamen Rider reboot movie, Kamen Rider the first or the missing Power Rangers series of the super sentai series go-busters. 

Monsters
Now the monsters in this movie needs to be more frightening in appearance, however they need to maintain their ability to be recognized. Now with Rita both the Ranger advice and the monster direction apply here. She needs to be recognizable but more frightening. My best advice for Rita lose the Madonna top. 

Zords
Now the Zords need an updated design while the megazord needs to still remind people of the original. This is the only part of design that needs to be aware of the merchandising. 


Overall

Overall I'm really excited for this movie however I'm trying to keep expectations kind of low so I'm not disappointed. To sum up what I've just said keep it simple pay respects to the source but update go your own way 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My top 5 Villians in Power Rangers

What is the Mech Genre?